New York Giants' Malik Nabers dismisses back issue as 'minor'

A big key for the New York Giants this season will be the health of star wide receiver Malik Nabers. The second-year stud has been limited all summer due to several issues, primarily a chronic toe problem and a shoulder injury.

Nabers also had an issue with his back recently, but downplayed it in his media session with reporters on Wednesday.

“A minor thing,” Nabers assured reporters. “I feel good. I know it’s been a little ride, but right now, I feel good.”

The Giants need Nabers to be all he can be and maybe a little more if they plan on making any noise in the NFC East this year. He feels he’s ready for the season.

“I feel like I’m always ready. When it’s game time with those lights on, I believe my body is going to turn it on,” he said. “Going to be ready to roll.”

Nabers also said he will not be holding back his emotions or opinions as he embarks on Year 2 of his already impressive career.

“I don’t speak a lot, but when it’s necessary to speak, I will speak. When things are not going well, I will speak my opinions and try to get everybody on the same page,” he said. “It’s not natural, personally, but sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone.

“If we want everything to go right this season, your best players have to do those things, and I have to do those things when the offense isn’t going well or we don’t have our vocal leaders, it’s up to me to try to get that going, try to get an offense going and stuff like that. I want to do those things, but it’s not in my comfort zone a lot right now, but I have been taking those steps forward to do those types of things.”

Last year, Nabers was vocal about the ineptitude of the offense and requested the team get him the ball more, especially early on in games.

The facts are that Nabers was the second-most targeted player in the NFL last year (170) behind only Cincinnati’s Ja’Marr Chase (175), and he missed two games with a concussion.

His goal is to help the team in any way he can.

“We’re looking to win some games,” Nabers said. “That’s all I can say, I’m looking to win some games.”

There hasn’t been a lot of winning in recent years, so that would be a welcome change of pace.

This article originally appeared on Giants Wire: New York Giants’ Malik Nabers dismisses back issue as ‘minor’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *